These two free webinars let you learn about this innovative algebra curriculum from three of the authors who created it.
- June Mark, EDC Managing Project Director
- E. Paul Goldenberg, EDC Distinguished Scholar
- Jane M. Kang, EDC Curriculum/Instructional Design Associate
The first webinar (15 minutes) introduces you to the series and:
- explains the needs and motivations that shaped this instructional approach;
- describes how logic problems and puzzles build student perseverance and willingness to try multiple approaches to problems; and
- shows how students learn to look for patterns and structures that make algebra make sense.
The second webinar (40 minutes) examines the series' guiding principles and instructional design. This webinar:
- describes how the algebraic habits of mind guide instruction;
- explores how the teaching is aligned with the Common Core Standards for Mathematical Practice;
- unpacks the 12 units of study and related support components;
- shows how mental mathematics exercises introduce algebraic concepts;
- models how number tricks and logic puzzles engage students in formulating algebraic equations;
- highlights how this series can transform teaching practices and learning environments;
- discusses various ways the units have been used to support algebra instruction; and
- answers frequently asked questions.